If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (931) 388-4248

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

4 Leading Causes of Home Fires

7/8/2021 (Permalink)

Background of a coach and three candles lid up on a table Candles look and smell nice, but they are also a fire hazard.

Common Fire Causes

According to the NFPA, firefighters respond to a home fire every 24 seconds somewhere within the country. That’s an alarming statistic considering that most house fires spread uncontrollably, leaving a wake of destruction. While you can never be truly prepared for such a disaster, there are things you could do to prevent it.

Common fire causes in Pulaski, TN includes:

  • Unattended kitchen appliances
  • Heating
  • Careless smoking in bedrooms
  • Candles

1. Cooking Equipment

Kitchen fires account for 48% of all home fire incidents in the nation. That comes as no surprise as most open flames and heating elements live in this room. Usually, the fire starts when you walk out or get distracted, then the food overcooks until it catches fire. This flame spreads to any flammable items nearby and results in a nasty flare.

2. Heating

Most people are cautious in the kitchen, but they sometimes fail to do proper care and maintenance on heating. These devices need inspection at least once a year to make sure they are in good condition. Also, keep all portable heaters at a safe distance from any flammable items such as curtains, books and furniture.

3. Smoking in Bedroom

Smoking is the last thing you should do in a bedroom. A cigarette butt that is not properly put off could stay alit for a couple of hours. That poses a grave danger considering that it’s the same room you keep all your flammable stuff such as beddings, clothes and mattresses.


Candles look and smell nice, but they are also a fire hazard. If the open flame comes into contact with the table cloth or topples over when no one is looking, you might be in for an expensive fire cleaning project. It is better to use flameless candles if you have kids and pets in the house.
A home fire can incur thousands of dollars in fire damage, even when you manage to put it out before it spreads further. That’s why you need to know where it starts and take the necessary precautions.

Other News

View Recent Posts